Over the weekend I was reading a book on organizing and one of the items listed in the book was around how prioritizing your task list is important to accomplishing and knocking down all those tasks.
First of all, there are tons of articles out there on organization and how to accomplish things that you have set out for yourself. However without prioritizing those items that you have identified that you need to work on can lead you down a path of task list overload thus causing the very opposite of organization.
- Step 1: Prepare your To Do List
- Step 2: From the to do list categorize similar tasks just so it doesn’t lead to any overlaps. For instance, if you were going to organize a birthday party, list all the tasks and you will begin to see a pattern of similar tasks, such as bake cake, purchase food etc. You can group those under a broad category called food.
- Step 3: Now that you have your categories in the Birthday example, prioritize the categories first. For instance if you these are your categories:
- Favor bags
- etc Think about which category/ task you would want to work on first based on the immediacy of the task. Keep a numerical system to prioritize the tasks. For instance. #1 – Most important. # 3 – Important but I don’t have to get to it today, # 5 – Not really all that important.
- Once you have the tasks prioritized, tackle accomplishing the tasks according to the list.
It helps to prioritize items to what you think is important, so that you can actually make some progress. I am curious to learn more about how you prioritize your lists.