This is not a food recipe post. So you must be wondering as to why I am posting this. Well, it just so happens that I have developed a keen interest in crafting over the last couple of years be it, pencil drawings, Zentangle or small DIY crafts. I was snooping around the web for some cool DIY holiday gift ideas and I came across, the cornstarch dough clay recipe. The end result is that I can make small embellishments for either jewelry or to hang as ornaments.
Please note, I am still waiting for the embellished clay dough to dry to paint them so that I can show the images of the completed project.
This recipe is a mix from a couple that I have seen online. The good is that I did not have to buy anything from the store. I used household items that were lying around.
Corn Starch – I table spoon
Glue – I used Mod Podge – 1 table spoon
Olive oil – 4 -5 drops
Vaseline (yes vaseline. What would I do without vaseline) – one small scoop
1 cup to stir the ingredients in
Pot of water
3. Add the oil
6. Once step 5 is complete, add the vaseline and mix.
7. Make a ball from the dough.
9. Pull smaller pieces from the dough mixture and make your own ornaments.
10. I made an octopus, fish, heart …. and poked small holes at this stage where I thought I could insert a wire through for future use.
11. Wait for 3 days for the embellishments to dry completely. 12. The next step is for me to paint the embellishments with either acrylic paint or with nail polish. I will post some pictures after I have painted them.
12/2 – Update.
We did not do a good job painting these, but here is the end result. The first image is that of an octopus and the second that of the sun. It was a cool project to work with my 4 year old. My thought is to use this on a self painted picture frame.
I hope you enjoyed the instructions. I would love to hear from you if there is a better way to do this craft.