I started incorporating more beets to my diet and my family’s diet recently after reading the benefits of beets. Here is my attempt of capturing the 101’s of Beets.
Introduction to Beets:
The Beetroot or Beets as we commonly call them, some in different varieties. As previously thought Beets come in a variety of colors such as white and even yellow. There is a green leafy stem attached to the beet which is very healthy and can be eaten as part of a salad. I for one did not know that. A couple of things to keep in mind:
- Beets are in season from June to October
- You are better off buying and cooking beets when in season to get the most nutrition from them
- There is a small root toward the tail of the beet. Make sure the root is attached to the beet when you buy the beet along with the leafy green stem.
- You can separate the beet from leafy stem and store them separately in the firdge, wrapped in a plastic bag and airtight. The beet and the leafy stem will last in the fridge for 3 days.
Nutrition and Benefits
There are a whole bunch of benefits to eating beets. I am only going to highlight a couple:
- Beets are high in folate. What that means is that it reduces the risk of birth defects.
- Beets are low in calories, about 60 calories for a cup of Beet (about 136 gms).
- Beets are a high source of energy.
- Beets are high in nitrates and are known to reduce blood pressure.
- Beets can help reduce chronic inflammation.
You can access a previously written beet, carrot, banana, Kale and Parsley Juice without a Juicer recipe by clicking here. I prepared a ridiculously simple recipe to cooks beets.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 – 25 minutes
- Two Medium Sized Beets – Peel the skin
- Salt – 1/2 tspn
- Pepper – 1/2 tspn
- Extra Light tasting olive oil – 1 tspn
- Turn on the oven to 350 degrees
- Cut the beets so that they are round and about less than a quarter inch thick
- Add some salt and pepper to the cut beets
- Add some oil to the pan and spread it out
- Add the beets to baking sheet and spray some oil over the beets so that the oil is evenly distributed.
- Let the beets bake for about 20 -25 minutes.The oil will prevent the beets from getting crispy and burnt.
- Serve it as a side dish or you can snack on it like I did.
- Your done.